Saturday, November 3, 2012

First Impressions of 6th Ed

I just walked in the door after a great afternoon of gaming shenanigans and thought I would get down some thoughts about the "new" 40K before they were gone.

I took my old workhorse daemons in a game against fellow Hampton member JP.  He brought a space wolf list with BA allies.  He had wolf riders, grey hunters in pods, dreads in pods, a fast dakka pred with a BA libby with squad in drop pod.  Lots of toys but that was not surprising since we were playing 2000 points.  I will skip the battle report and focus instead on what we learned.

In no particular order:

Hammer of Wrath is cool... I just need to remember to do it!

I like how monstrous creatures have to half their attacks to hurt vehicles.  It seems to match how I would envision it actually working in "reality."

Fearless without extra wounds if you loose means that fearless is back to being solid (as I understand).  My horror units with a 4 up inv save and fearless could be charged and hold things up until the big stuff stomped in.

As a big 8th Edition Fan (Fantasy) I already really like pre-measuring and random charges.  I also really like the idea of snap firing folks when they charge you.  Again I think it fits cinematically.

The allies thing was kinda weird but I am already getting used to it.  Not sure if and when I will get around to actually creating an army that uses them though...

Wondering now how my guard will hold up in this edition.?

All in all I LOVE the new game!  I am sure that everyone else knows this and I am really late to the party BUT what the hey...  Also, I  need to buy a Dark Vengeance rulebook from somewhere...  Carrying the big book and finding things in it is already killing me!

B

P.S.  My pictures from todays game didn't come out (really blurry for some reason)...  These are piccies from the few turns of 6th that I tried when the game came out (Sorry JP!)...





3 comments:

  1. No drama- had fun today even as I was getting pantzed! Round 2 will see my boyz redeem themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
    Are those your Land Raiders Brad? They look like yours, but I didn't know Daemons could get them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't matter who won. We are still learning the game. :)

    Drew. My piccies from yesterday didn't come out. That is my land raider crusader. I used it in another game against Badfang's borrowed daemons. :)

    ReplyDelete