Tuesday, December 14, 2010

WARWHINGER RAGE!!!!


Well the introduction of 8th edition in Warhammer Fantasy Battle shaken up an otherwise generally stable community of gamers. Yes there are some major game changes (6th to 7th was more of a rules tweek than a proper edition change) that need to be considered. The hardest ones to swallow it seems are steadfast and the “Over the Top” magic system.
I am here to say that this is not your Dad’s warhammer. It is a new system with rules that interact completely differently than they did before. There are groups of very vocal gamers in other parts of Australia that have been publishing page upon page of vitriol on wargamerau.com for some time now. It started as whining. Then it turned to rage quitting and then it lead to a constant campaign to lure Warhammer players away from the scene to play warmachine. (Not everyone mind you truly fits this category and if you like warmachine God bless you that is fine with me). It has gotten to the point that people in other countries have contacted me and others I know to ask what the heck our problem is. It is an embarrassment within our hobby.
This madness has got to stop. It is pushing away new gamers and making “newcomers” to the scene (like me) want to rage quit. If you don’t want to play the game… Don’t! But leave me alone. I don’t like warmachine… sorry I just don’t like it. I want to play Warhammer.
I flew up to Orktoberfest earlier this year to play in a fantasy tourney and in the midst of the top tables a few of the (former) “Warhammer Elite” had set up a game of warmachine. Fine… They were friends with the TO. Whatever. Come game 5 though I get the draw and I am scheduled t play on that table. WTF? I walk up and politely inquire about using the table (that I have been assigned) only to get laughed at and told to find an empty table. While I should have caved someone’s skull in with my figure case at that point I did not. I played nice. I assure you next time I will not.
This just emphasises for me the arrogance of some people in the community. People think that they know better after a few games that the people that wrote the game system. I can safely say now with 6 8th ed tournies under my belt that IT WORKS THE WAY IT IS WRITTEN! Yes I have faced the endless horde. Yes I have had crazy magic work for and against me. If you play the missions as written it really does balance the game nicely.

People with huge hordes will have few banners and will loose that mission.

Hordes cannot start in buildings and they loose their ranks and other benefits when they are in a building.

That OTT magic… Well it houses large units as do war machines.

Leave 8th ed alone… Evolve or move on and most of all leave my player packs alone.

I like 8th the way it was written...

8 comments:

  1. I agree, I too am loving 8th. Sometimes the magic is a bit OTT (I wish they kept double 1's as a miscast as well), but the system does work very well. I like seeing big armies and units out on the table. The scenarios and new terrain rules help balance the game even more.

    We have the same whiners back here as well in the States. I do my best to just ignore them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said that man. I've had nowt but fun so far with 8th ed. To each his own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeh the "tournament mafia" up north are honetly a pack of wankers, this is why i dont do interstate tournaments. 8th ed works, and works well, its just that these fuckers wernt instantly the best, hence rage quits and toddler style temper tantrums, 2 of them walked out in the middle of games at the first 8th ed tourny, their excuse was " i wasnt having fun"

    totally support everything you've said mate

    - noakes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brad,

    I agree with most of what you've written.

    What for the sequel though....

    "We're Back to Save the Game"

    This will happen in the next six months after more people have been driven away because of half-arsed hybrid players packs like put up for Dogcon.

    Back they'll come en masse to play v7.5

    The Australian scene is at odds with everywhere else in the world. Emigrate :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys... Wow... People do read what I write! YIKES!

    You know Pete if the misses didn't love Australia so much and I was stuck in a place with 7.5 lite being played I would consider it. Luckily I live in Vic... 8th ed for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Late weigh in on this one. However, the game we play is a HOBBY. A hobby is supposed to be fun and something that you do to enjoy yourself. If you don't like it, please, go dump all your toysoldiers on e-bay and shut the hell up.
    It's my hobby and no one can tell me how to enjoy it.

    I'll paint my Space Marines pink if I want to.

    ReplyDelete